With a seductively creamy aroma and floral backdrop that dances on your palette, this gem was discovered on our Taiwan sourcing trip. True love at first sip.
Famous for its naturally buttery mouthfeel, Jin Xuan - known around the world as Milk Oolong - is a Taiwanese tea varietal developed in the 80's. While it is unfortunately often artificially flavored for consumption abroad, our Milk Oolong is the original, all-natural Jinxuan tea, simply drawing on a longer oxidation period to enhance its inherent milky flavours.
Watch as each individual ball unfurls into a perfect bud and 3 leaves, steeping a beautiful amber green liquor in your cup. Sniff the empty cup to really enjoy the interplay of nutty-ness, warm milk and fresh flowers – it’s quite an addictive aroma! Perfect for milk tea lovers who want to transition into pure teas.
Sourced directly from a 3rd generation tea producer in Shanlinxi, Taiwan.
- CATEGORY Oolong tea
- NET WT 50g
- PICKED April 2019 (Spring harvest)
- ORIGIN Shanlinxi, Taiwan | 1000m Elevation
- LEAF Jinxuan (Golden Day Lily) | 1 bud 3 leaves
- CRAFT Picked, withered, tossed, fried, ball-rolled & charcoal-baked
- NOTES Caramel Fudge, Hazelnut, Creamy, Orchid
- BENEFITS Boosts mental alertness
- CAFFEINE Yes
We recommend brewing in a Gaiwan for this tea, but it can also be enjoyed Western style.
- Chinese Brew (Gaiwan): 4g | 150ml | 95°C | 1 min | +20 sec for additional brews | Can steep ~ 6 times
- Western Brew (Mug / Teapot): 5g | 350ml | 95°C | 2 min | + 1 min for additional brews | Can steep ~ 3 times
Our Milk Oolong has been sourced directly from a 3rd generation producer in Shanlinxi, Taiwan. At 1000m elevation, their tea farms are interwoven with bamboo forests in classic Shanlinxi fashion. They use the artisanal method of ball-rolling tea, using cloth bags to roll the tea in 18kg batches - a dying art in Taiwan.
We visited in November 2018, just after Winter harvest, and were immediately excited about their Milk Oolong. Among all the oolongs we tasted on that trip, it stood out as a top contender, with its distinctively creamy aroma. We followed our gut to source it - A favorite among teawala fans!